Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Down to the Wire

It would appear, I will be scrambling to get things done (and still have time for a sufficient amount of procrastinating) in my last two week as a Peace Corps Volunteer. I've been thinking a lot about the things I have adjusted to here and how much this experience has really changed me--yet, fundamental parts of my character are still the same. My life and my personal values/ mantras have matured as I tested the waters here in Thailand. At times, I was doubtful and confused and frustrated with almost everything I believed and thought to be true--only to come out more confident than I was before. I won't say that I've got it all figured out. Nobody does. But, I will say that this experience has helped me strengthen my resolve in life and set my sights on higher pursuits--spiritually, mentally, and physically. Even if that does mean more trials and tribulations in the future. I'm content better knowing what makes me come alive and feel fulfilled.

I have more than few more anecdotes to disclose before this experience is over (although, I'm beginning to think the effects of this experience won't be over for a long while). I fear there are so many more lessons learned and happenings that will go unpublished because after all, there's only so much one can write about such an experience. In order to feel the full effect, it has to be lived.

Tonight I will leave for my final root canal travels to Bangkok and by this time tomorrow I will have a brand new tooth! Fake, of course. It will be the 5th and final time I've traveled back and forth to Bangkok in a month's time and I can't wait for it to be over.

Despite the unforeseen dental circumstance, it hasn't been that much of a setback by way of soaking it all up before I leave. Last week was eventful to the max with my landlord's 3-day wedding extravaganza at my house ( I took up temporary residence and refuge from the 24-7 partying at my old homestay for 3 nights), posing as the wedding photographer, aerobic dance competition (plus practice the day before), my bike breaking down 4 times, writing final reports (ongoing process), soaking up the local food and culture, and fighting a persistent cough/cold.

I hope to add at least two more posts this week or next. I have 2 important (well, I think they're important) stories to cover.


In the meantime, enjoy my current youtube uploads of my landlord's wedding and a tour of my residence:


Thai Wedding Procession

Thai Wedding Ceremony

Thai Wedding Blessing

My Residence in Rural Thailand

(P.S. I realize I sound a bit dorky narrating this last video...it may be due to the lack of verbal English language communication I've experienced on a day to day basis in the past two years ;) Don't hold it against me!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.